- Prep Time10 Mins
- Cook Time40 Mins
- Serving3 People
Recipe for Chana Masala
Chana Masala is also known as Chole Masala is a delicious North Indian curry that is made by cooking white chickpea the main ingredient of a dish is spicy gravy made up of tomato, onions, and other spices. So, follow the step-by-step recipe for chana masala. Match chana masala with different Indian cuisines like- Butter kulcha, Lachha paratha, plain paratha, butter naan, poori, and jeera rice.
What is Chana Masala
Chana Masala or Chole Masala is a popular North Indian dish made with white chickpeas. ‘Chana’ is the chickpeas and ‘Masala’ is the Hindi term of spices meaning a mixture of various masalas. So, the chana masala is a mixture of chickpeas in different spices.
Chickpea curry is made in different styles across India, but here we got you the easiest way of making a chana masala recipe in a pressure cooker. Also. Chana masala is a healthy recipe because it contains chickpea that is loaded with protein, minerals, and fiber essential for a strong body.
Making of Chana Masala
Preparation Time ➢ 10 minutes
Cook Time ➢ 40 minutes
Serving People ➢ 3 people
Ingredients of Chana Masala
- 2 cups soaked chana
- 4 chopped onion
- 4 tomatoes puree
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ tablespoon turmeric powder
- ½ tablespoon chana masala powder
- 1 cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- 1 ½ tablespoons oil
- Salt to taste
- ½ tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 green chili
- 1.5 cups water
Chana Masala Restaurant Style
For Chana ➢
1. Wash and soak chana for 8 hours. Remove the water from it before using it.
2. Take a pressure cooker add 1.5 cups of water to it on a medium flame cook for 5-6 whistles. You can also take pot instead of pressure cooker take water a little more.
3. After 5-6 whistles you will see that the chana is cooked properly and become soft. You can squeeze the chana to check whether they cooked or not.
For gravy ➢
1. Now to make a gravy first take 4-5 tomatoes in boiling water half cook them for 6-7 minutes you will notice skin coming out, remove the skin, and make a puree of it.
2. Take a pan add 1 ½ tablespoons oil, add cinnamon, clove, cardamom, and cumin seeds.
3. Then add chopped onions, green chili, stir until onions become brown add ginger garlic paste, and cooked chana. Mix everything well.
4. Now add turmeric powder, chili powder, and chana masala powder.
5. Add salt to taste and the tomato puree
6. Add some water.
7. Now in a low flame boil for 5-6 minutes until you get a good consistency. If adding garam masala cook for 3-4 minutes more.
8.Lastly, add few coriander leaves or Kasuri methi stir, and turn off the flame.
9.Delicious Chole masala is ready to serve.
How to serve Chana Masala
You can have chana masala with roti, rice, Butter kulcha, Lachha paratha, plain paratha, butter naan, poori, and jeera rice.
Chana Masala Nutritions
The Nutrient Facts of Chana Masala are-
- Calories- 344
- Fat- 11g
- Sodium- 72mg
- Potassium- 712mg
- Carbohydrates- 47g
- Fiber- 13g
- Sugar- 8g
- Protein- 14g
Is chana masala good for your health?
Yes, chana masala is healthy. Chickpeas the main ingredient present in it is a good source of protein, fiber, folate, and zinc. They are also light in fat that helps to lower down cholesterol levels and helps in weight loss. The other ingredients like- tomatoes, onions, and spices used in it provide immense health benefits for the body.
Is chana masala good for weight loss?
Yes, they help in weight loss, because chickpeas are a good source of protein and fiber. Fiber keeps you full also good for a healthy digestive system whereas, protein satisfies your hunger. So, when you eat less and feel full you can easily lose weight.
Is chana masala usually vegan?
Yes, chana masala is a vegan meal. The chickpea masala is made with tomatoes, onions, ginger, garlic, spices, and chickpeas. The only ingredient that is non-vegan is ghee you can replace ghee with oil and have it with roti, naan, or rice.
Does Chana increase weight?
Roasted Chana helps to reduce weight. Chana contains protein and fiber. Fiber keeps you full for longer also good for a healthy digestive system whereas, protein satisfies your hunger. So, when you eat less and feel full you can easily lose weight
Are you bored to have the same meal every day? Then try out the recipe for chana masala that with its deliciousness satisfies your tummy.
- Daily Value*
- Fat: 11g17%
- Saturated Fat: 1g6%
- Sodium: 72mg3%
- Potassium: 712mg20%
- Carbohydrates: 47g16%
- Fiber: 13g54%
- Sugar: 8g9%
- Protein: 14g28%