Prep Time10 Mins
Cook Time45 Mins
How to make Kheer of Rice
Kheer is one of the favorite sweet dessert of North Indians made in different festivals and occasions or as a dessert after the meal.
Rice kheer is mostly preferred in many Indian homes that is made with milk, rice, sugar and flavored with cardamom, saffron, and nuts.
Want to know how this delicious dessert is prepared then follow the step-by-step process of how to make kheer of rice.
What is Kheer?
Kheer or Payasam is one of the traditional and most liked sweet dishes of India. Kheer and Payasam both are derived from the Sanskrit terms ‘ksheer’ and ‘payasa’ meaning milk. Indian rice pudding made from milk, sugar, basmati rice and flavored with cardamom, saffron, coconut, cashews, almonds, and pistachios.
Rice Pudding in the south is called Rice payasam both dishes are the same and required almost the same ingredients.
The recipe of how to make kheer at home is prepared with normal ingredients that can be easily available at your home they are milk, sugar, basmati rice, and few nuts.
The rich and creamy consistency can be achieved from shimmering and stirring milk for some time and then adding different flavors to it. So, let us have a look at the making of Rice Kheer.
Which type of rice to use?
Mostly basmati rice is used to make kheer as it helps to enhance the taste of kheer. But in different regions, different types of rice are used that are suitable for the people of that area.
Here, we have used normal rice if you want you can also use normal or go with the basmati rice if you have.
Making of Kheer
Preparation Time ➢ 10 minutes
Cook Time ➢ 45 minutes
Serving People ➢ 4 people
Ingredients of Kheer
- ½ cup rice
- 1-liter milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cup water
- 2 cardamom (elaichi) or cardamom powder
- Cashew Nuts
- 2 tablespoons ghee
How to make a Kheer
If you want to know to prepare this delicious dessert then follow the below steps of how to make kheer at home.
How to prepare rice ➢
- Wash and soak ½ cup raw rice for 15 minutes. It will help the rice to cook perfectly. Drain the water.
- Now pressure cook the soaked rice for 2 whistles on low flame also add 1 ½ cup water to make the rice soft.
How to prepare Kheer ➢
3. Take a pan in that add 1-liter milk and let it come to boil on a medium flame.
4. When the milk comes to a boil add the cooked rice and simmer(mix) it properly in different intervals so that it does not stick to the bottom.
5. Add 1/3 cup sugar in it mixed it well. Add sugar according to your taste.
6. Now on a lower flame cook the kheer properly until it becomes thick. Also, make sure to stir it.
7. For the nuts take another pan and add 2 tablespoons of ghee in that add few cashew nuts and roast them properly till you get a brown golden color.
8. Now add raisins stir them for 1-2 minutes until they plump turn off the flame after that.
9. Turn back to kheer add ½ tablespoon cardamom powder or cardamom, roasted cashew nuts, and raisins, mix it well and cook for 5 minutes to make the kheer thick.
10. When the kheer turns the thick switch off the flame garnish kheer with saffron and nuts and serves it warm.
1. The other method is to directly add drained rice in milk once it became to boil without putting it in a pressure cooker. Stir the rice on a low/medium flame until the rice became soft add sugar to it and cook the kheer until it became thick.
2. You can also add nuts directly to the kheer for that in the boiling water half boil the nuts and remove their skin. After that add them along with the cardamom powder and cook for 5 more minutes. If adding raisins make sure to add them at the end and after that avoid cooking them.
3. You can also add jaggery in the kheer to that make the jaggery syrup, filter it, cool it down, and then add it to the cooked milk and rice.
How to serve kheer
Serve Kheer warm or chilled either after the meal or as a dessert to make your festival or occasions filled with sweetness.
The nutrition facts of kheer are-
- Calories- 307
- Fat- 12g
- Cholesterol- 24mg
- Sodium- 105mg
- Potassium- 420mg
- Carbohydrates- 40g
- Fiber- 1g
- Sugar- 29g
- Protein- 10g
We hope you enjoyed how to make kheer quickly just create the mood and prepare this sweet dessert easily without the requirement of many items. Follow the step-by-step process of how to make kheer of rice.
- Daily Value*